|This article needs to be updated. (September 2016)|
The military of the United States is deployed in more than 150 countries around the world, with nearly 150,000 of its active-duty personnel serving outside the United States and its territories.
Of those military personnel in Europe, most are located at installations activated during the Cold War, by which the US government sought to challenge the Soviet Union in the aftermath of World War II.
US personnel are seeing active combat in Afghanistan. Others are deployed as part of several peacekeeping missions, military attachés, or are part of embassy and consulate security.
The following tables provide detail of various countries, listed by region, where US military are deployed. Countries with fewer than 100 personnel deployed are not specified. These numbers do not include any military or civilian contractors or dependents. The numbers are based on the most recent United States Department of Defense statistics as of September 30, 2015.
| South Korea||24,899||16,412||331||136||8,020|||
| United Kingdom||8,920||191||266||19||8,444|||
| Contiguous United States||1,075,505||409,999||269,296||154,052||242,158|||
| Hawaii (state)||46,764||17,832||16,024||7,777||5,131|||
| Alaska (state)||17,838||10,366||77||8||7,387|||
| Guam (territory)||5,666||76||3,576||17||1,997|||
| Puerto Rico(territory)||152||106||18||9||19|||
- ^ a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z aa ab ac ad ae af ag ah ai aj ak al am an ao apaq ar as at "Total Military Personnel and Dependent End Strength By Service, Regional Area, and Country". Defense Manpower Data Center. September 30, 2015.
- ^ Davis, Lynn E.; Pettyjohn, Stacie L.; Sisson, Melanie W.; Worman, Stephen M.; McNerney, Michael J. (2012). U.S. Overseas Military Presence: What Are the Strategic Choices? (PDF). Project Air Force. Monographs Series. RAND Corporation. ISBN 978-0-8330-7340-2. Retrieved 6 November 2012.
- ^ "Enhancing Stability and Security in Afghanistan" (PDF). Defense.gov. Arlington, Virginia: United States Department of Defense. December 2015. Retrieved February 7,2016.
- ^ Dempsey, Martin E. (June 12, 2015). "Obama Looks at Adding Bases and Troops in Iraq, to Fight ISIS". The New York Times. Retrieved June 12, 2015.
- ^ Syria conflict: Obama to deploy 250 more special forces troops, BBC 25 April 2016